Thursday, February 5, 2015

Somewhere Along the Edge ~


After a certain age, pretty much all our discussions turn into philosophical discussions. And so it was the other day in conversation with my fellow philosopher and wanderer Richard, as we idly speculated on where --  and what -- was beauty. As no alcohol was involved in this particular discussion, we couldn't come up with any particular Great Truth. Darn. But I was able to provide to myself, at least, some clarity to a philosophy about photography I have held for many, many years.

When you see a beautiful sunset, look behind you to see what it means. It's where day meets night, where light meet shadow. It's where the sea meets the shore, where a smile turns inward; where there is sadness and joy, harmony and discord, yin and yang.


All the really interesting things happen here, at the edges. That's where I go looking, and that's where you can find me.

That's where I'll set up my tripod.

1 comment:

  1. In high school, probably junior year, I told my mom that a particular girl in my class was beautiful. She asked me "What makes her beautiful?" I said, "The way she looks!" She followed with, "But what makes the way you see her think she" beautiful?" "I don't know--she just is." Mom wouldn't drop it, and then asked, "What do you feel when you seen her?" After a pregnant pause I said, "I feel warm." She then remarked, "I guess beauty isn't only about what we see."

    ReplyDelete